We’re a proud partner of the Washington Soil Health Committee that is educating landowners and citizens about best practices in preventing soil erosion and enhancing soil health on arable lands.
Soil Health Committee Goals include:
- Work with land owners, funding entities, state and federal government agencies to remove barriers to sustainable soil conservation practices that will enhance soil health in Washington State.
- Create a web site for sharing information among landowners, scientists, public agencies and private entities such as. Washington Wheat Growers Association, Pacific Northwest Direct Seed Association, Hay Growers Association, Horticulture Association, Farwest Fertilizer Association, Organic Farmers and Potato Growers Association. Members will travel throughout the state to attend relevant organizational meetings and conferences to distribute educational information about soil health.
- Conduct a data search for work accomplished in other states to consolidate for use in Washington State.
- Identify early adopters and share their success stories about promoting soil health.
- Define a 2014 baseline for cover crops planted in Washington State. We will then set a goal of increasing those acres in the next biennium, (2017)
- Lastly we will work to raise general awareness of soil health and it’s importance to the citizens of Washington State.
To learn more, visit the Washington Soil Health Committee website: www.soilhealthwa.org.